For this course, the Scrapbooking group was presented with a mountainous project that we quickly began to sort through and piece together. In order to ensure the family and our group was on the same page, we met with two of the Rowe sisters in February to see if there was anything in particular they wanted scanned or researched for the website. The sisters were open-minded and decided they wanted to see how we decided to handle the task of scanning and narrating the project.

In order to get a head start on completing this project, we began meeting regularly for two hours at a time, discussing our plans for the scrapbooks, the website, and scanning. This allowed us to develop a clear idea on what we were doing and we were able to develop a process for scanning and naming the scans. As a result of our actions, we were quickly able to complete our scanning process, meeting our goal with regards to how many scans we wanted to complete.

Once we received our website, our duties became split, with some people focusing more on website construction and others focusing more on the research and contents of the pages. Having no requests or limitations, we decided to write about scrapbooking as a whole, as well as our process for scanning. On top of doing this, we further contextualized the lives of the Rowe women by finding additional sources, allowing us to reach out to a broader history on women, weddings, and Fredericksburg.

Just as we described in our contract, we have been successfully advertising our project via a Twitter Bot and Instagram. Through the use of social media, we were able to ascertain specific accessibility concerns faced by our audience and were able to find the necessary plugins to accommodate them, as well as adding captions and alt-text for those with disabilities. In order to further help our audience, we have a plugin that enables them to toggle text size, a plugin that reads pages aloud, and a plugin that translates our website into several different languages.

Though we were unfortunately unable to incorporate the front covers of the scrapbooks due to the disruption caused by COVID-19, we were able to upload the scans we had completed to NextGen Galleries. On the scans of newspapers or other documents, we have included transcriptions in order to help our audience better understand what has been scanned.

The homepage structure is slightly different than that which was detailed in our contract, but this homepage is structured in a manner that is easily accessible and can be easily understood. Throughout the website, we have areas where the audience can return to the homepage without any hassle.

Our project not only meets the goals outlined in our contract, but I believe we have exceeded them in several ways. By creating a visually and academically appealing website that acknowledges accessibility concerns, we have enabled a broader audience to potentially find and take interest in the contents of our project. We have addressed historical events and scrapbooking, contextualized the Rowe’s in the wider world, crafted a working family tree, and combined images to produce a stunning website.

For the meme final:

An exaggeration in which my group needed more scholarly sources on scrapbooks and academics are "responding" saying, "Three, take it or leave it."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *